Wednesday 22 March 2017

Flowers and Blood and Mercy and Miracles


So, today London happened, and today, 33 civilians were killed in Syria in a US-led airstrike on a school which was being used to house refugees. And today, as on so many days, many are weeping for their lost brothers and sisters, and for the seeming loss of hope and love and compassion, none of which is ever truly lost because we are human and humans hope and love and care, in spite of and because of it all.

And everywhere humans are at this moment lighting candles and lifting prayers to their God, or Goddess, or gods, or no god, and will care all the more fiercely because of a day like today, and some will hate and call it care and not the fear that it really is, and some will lift up weapons and some will lay down their weapons because they are sickened by it all. And no doubt tomorrow, somewhere, more will die needlessly and more candles will be lit and so we go on in our broken and bewildered way. Because this is what life is, or part of it anyway. It isn't worse than it has ever been. It just is.

And we don't have to say that 'they' won't win, because there is nothing to win and there is no 'they'. There is only us, spinning around on this messy, precious little planet filled with flowers and blood and mercy and miracles, and we have to make it work. And we might not know much but what we can know is that we are all going to die trying. And we don't have to say that we aren't afraid, because we are allowed to be afraid. And I won't be looking at images of people bleeding and dying on Westminster Bridge, or of a man lying dead because how it 'just is' twisted his heart into this act of violence. I will be thinking of the candles and lighting my own. And there are just too many words, and never the right ones, so I will just say that this is how it is. It isn't going to stop, or not any time soon, and so we must find a way to love life and one another all the more because of it. There is nothing else.

Today, London happened and children locked inside Parliament with people dying outside sang to offer comfort and lift people's spirits, perhaps not knowing whether they would live or die themselves. We all need to remember to sing and just keep on singing. 

6 comments:

  1. *offers hugs, also tea*

    I hear tea is appropriate in these situations. Since it's virtual tea let's just pretend I know how to make it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs and tea much appreciated and yes, I imagine that many kettles are boiling across the UK tonight. Your virtual tea is delicious! Thank you, my friend across the sea xxx

      Delete
  2. this is the most beautiful thing i've read today, and i thank you because it meant more to me than i can say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Sarah. Yours are the first words I have 'heard' this morning and they have made me weep good tears. Love to you for a day of gentleness, I hope.

      Delete
  3. That is really good post, you wrote it beautifully and made my day. Thank you for sharing it with us, good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm so glad that it made sense x

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I genuinely do appreciate and value what you have to say. For some reason I am currently struggling to reply but I am reading everything you say and I am grateful. I will work on the replying!